The goal of the JAE’s music curriculum is to present a program of sequential musical learning designed to develop an appreciation of the joy of music making; an understanding of culture and fine arts from a variety of periods and peoples; and skill and independence in performing, reading, writing and creating music.
This goal will be achieved as students learn in observance of the National Standards of Music Education (NSME):
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
Students will be graded based on their level of effort towards skill mastery.